XUL MSN Messenger

XUL MSN Messenger was an MSN Messenger clone, coded in JavaScript and XUL. It was available as an extension for Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey and Firefox, and later could be run stand-alone with XULRunner.

The project was created on 17 June 2003 by Syko as a cross-platform alternative to the official client. It was hosted on MozDev until the latter was retired.

Back in 2007, having exorcised Internet Explorer from my Windows 95 system (which meant I could no longer use MSN Messenger 5), I was looking for an alternative, which is when I found this project. Not having had a release for years, it seemed abandoned, and the last release didn't work. That didn't stop me, a Mozilla Suite (now called SeaMonkey) user, from taking interest, and I started work on getting it working again.

Eventually I decided to take over the project. I contacted Syko and asked if he was okay with it, which he was, and after some e-mails to the MozDev admin, the project was transferred on 10 May 2007.

The client was updated to use version 8 of the communication protocol, MSNP, which was the minimum version that was supported. Work was underway to add support for MSNP9 and MSNC1, which enables display pictures and peer-to-peer file transfer. Before this could make its way to a release, however, Microsoft dropped support for MSNP9 in December 2009. With the newer versions of the protocol being increasingly complex and less unofficial documentation being available on them, the project effectively was put on life support until the entire MSN Messenger service was discontinued in 2013.


Change log

Yup, the change log of a dead project. Hey, it shows how hard I worked on it!

Version 0.8.5 (21/11/2009)

Version 0.8.4 (7/2/2009)

Version 0.8.3 (12/12/2008)

Version 0.8.2 (17/9/2008)

Version 0.8.1 (18/6/2008)

Version 0.8 (9/4/2008)

Version 0.7.3 (22/10/2007)

Version 0.7.2 (11/10/2007)

Version 0.7.1 (19/9/2007)

Version 0.7 (6/9/2007)

Additionally, the menus have been reorganised.

Version 0.6.2 (18/06/2007)

Version 0.6.1 (27/05/2007)

Version 0.6 (22/05/2007)

Under the hood, much of the code has been rewritten and modularised.

(*) This feature was already implemented in the nightly, but as I took 0.5 as my base, it has been re-implemented, based on the nightly's code.

Version 0.5 (28/07/2003)

First release. Used MSNP7 to authenticate to the MSN network.